Here you'll find our favorite recipes, both original goop creations and dishes shared by great make contributors. Browse by ingredient or category to find the perfect dish for any craving or occasion, or simply scroll to get inspired (and seriously hungry).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, very finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup champagne
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- 8 oysters
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- peanut oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon caviar (optional)
Fried Oysters with Curried Crème Fraîche
1. Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the shallot and cook, stirring for about 4 minutes or until just softened.
3. Add the curry and cook for another minute.
4. Add the champagne, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the crème fraîche and keep warm over a low flame.
6. Meanwhile, steam the oysters for 5 minutes.
7. Using a butter knife, shuck them open, drain out the juice and remove the oysters from their shells (use the knife to separate them from the abductor muscle) being sure to reserve both the oysters and their rounded shells.
8. Rinse and dry the shells.
9. Pour enough peanut oil in a skillet to cover it by ¼" (about a cup in a medium skillet). Heat over a medium flame.
10. Dredge the oysters in the flour. Test the temperature of the oil with a drop of water or a pinch of flour – it should sizzle on contact.
11. Fry the oysters in the hot oil for about a minute on each side, or until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
12. Put a spoonful of the crème fraîche sauce into each shell, top with a crispy oyster and a small spoonful of caviar.