You can find Mallorcan Hibiscus Salt at Spanish specialty stores: So worth it.
Roasted Poussins & Potatoes
An elegant change up on chicken and potatoes. We use salt from Mallorca that’s infused with hibiscus, but regular salt is more than okay.
2 poussins (Cornish hens)
1 clove finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon Mallorcan hibiscus salt
freshly ground black pepper
a dozen small creamer potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (on convection if possible).
2. Rub each poussin with coarse salt and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Grate the zest from the lemon, being sure not to get any of the pith. Reserve the lemon.
4. Make a paste of the zest, 3/4 of the minced garlic, the butter, hibiscus salt, and a few grinds of coarse pepper.
5. Using your fingertips, separate the skin from the breast of each poussin and massage half of the butter mixture under the skin of each bird.
6. Meanwhile, steam the potatoes for 7 minutes.
7. Cut them in half and toss in a roasting pan with the olive oil and a pinch of coarse salt and pepper.
8. Lay the poussins on top.
9. Cut your reserved lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the birds and stuff the squeezed halves inside the cavities. Sprinkle the birds with a good grind of black pepper and a pinch of coarse salt.
10. Roast for 40 minutes, or until browned and cooked through (a thermometer should register 180°F in the thickest part of the thigh).
11. Take the poussins out and let them rest.
12. Toss potatoes with the thyme, return to the oven and roast for an additional 5 minutes or until crispy.
13. Toss the potatoes with the remaining minced garlic and serve.
The Spare Room is Hollywood’s newest addition to the bar scene. The parlor style bar inspired by old Hollywood features two refurbished bowling lanes and backgammon, along with old-timey drinks, like their Kentucky Glove Box, which is just in time for this year’s horse races.
This is one of Dr. Perricone's recipes for eating for beauty. Pears offer protection from free radicals; Pears are high in both Vitamin C and copper, anti-oxidant nutrients that help prevent free radical damage to the cells. Both copper and Vitamin C also stimulates white blood cells to fight...