This basic sauce is perfect for homemade pizza. Make in advance for a seamless pizza-making experience.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with their juice
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the carrot and onion and cook, stirring now and then, until softened but not ground, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and their juice and the salt. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Carefully puree in a blender until very smooth.
5. Let it cool before saucing your pizzas. This can be made up to a week ahead.
Use with our Pizza Dough to make our following signature pizzas:
I helped Avi make Ravioli Granchio. I used to lay out a sheet of pasta, spoon the filling on top, brush it with egg, lay out another pasta sheet on top, and cut out the pieces. At the River Café I learned to spray the pasta sheet with water...
So, we make this with red rice and without wine but call it ‘risotto’ as the result is just as creamy and sophisticated. It cooks like a pilaf, which means no arduous adding and stirring, making it perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Skip the cheese to...