This basic sauce is perfect for homemade pizza. Make in advance for a seamless pizza-making experience.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with their juice
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the carrot and onion and cook, stirring now and then, until softened but not ground, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and their juice and the salt. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Carefully puree in a blender until very smooth.
5. Let it cool before saucing your pizzas. This can be made up to a week ahead.
Use with our Pizza Dough to make our following signature pizzas:
Triple-threat food stylist, recipe developer, and allergen-free cooking instructor Jeffrey Larsen shows us how to make the ultimate GF pie crust—with vegan variations. (Just replace the butter with an equal amount of Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, and replace the sour cream with 2 tablespoons of cold water.)