Mexican Breakfast Bowl
Between the protein in quinoa, beans and eggs, the iron and Vitamin A in spinach, and the good fats (particularly omega 9’s) in avocado, this bowl will help keep your hair healthy and your skin glowing and dewy. Plus, it tastes great.
½ cup canned black beans
1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
2 sprigs cilantro + extra for garnish
2 tablespoons water
salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup cooked quinoa
1 cup tightly packed spinach leaves, very roughly torn
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large egg
hot sauce, to garnish
crumbled queso fresco, optional
1. Combine black beans, garlic clove, 2 sprigs of cilantro, the 2 tablespoons of water, and a generous pinch of salt in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture up to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a simmer, cover partially, and let cook 5 minutes.
2. While the beans cook, thinly slice or dice the avocado half and set aside.
3. After 5 minutes, add the cooked quinoa and the torn spinach leaves to the black bean mixture. Add another generous pinch of salt and stir to mix all the ingredients together. Partially cover and let cook while you fry the egg.
4. In a small sauté pan, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Crack an egg into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook the egg until the white is set and the yolk is still runny (or to your desired done-ness).
5. Fish the garlic clove and cilantro stems out of the bean/spinach/quinoa mixture and transfer to a bowl. Top with the sliced avocado, fried egg, and cilantro leaves.
6. Finish with hot sauce and queso fresco cheese, if desired.