Lobster Pot Pie
Everybody needs a little indulgence once in a while, and this one is totally worth it. You can freeze these (unbaked) and have them ready and waiting for a cozy night.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 small/medium yellow onion, minced
¼ cup cognac
2 tablespoons flour, plus more
1 ¾ cups heavy cream
1 pound raw fresh knuckle and claw lobster meat, cut into ¾-inch pieces
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 14-ounce package puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, shallot, and onion; cook until golden, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add brandy and cook until reduced by half, 1-2 minutes.
4. Whisk in flour and cook for two minutes. Add cream and bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes.
5. Stir in lobster, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
6. Divide lobster mixture between four 8-ounce ramekins set on a rimmed baking sheet. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 14-inch square and cut out four 4½-inch circles.
7. Brush edges of cocottes with egg, place one pastry circle over each, and press to seal. Brush the pastry all over with egg and bake until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes.