Italian Style Quinoa Noodle Pot
A bit of leftover tomato sauce, fresh basil and some finely crushed garlic inspired this Italian-style noodle pot. We used grated zucchini to keep it fresh and cooked quinoa for a protein hit. While these little seeds may resemble grains in look and taste, they are completely free of gluten and rich in amino acids not found in regular grains.
1 small garlic clove, finely minced
1-2 tablespoons very finely chopped red onion or shallot
6 tablespoons cooked quinoa
1 small zucchini, roughly grated or spiralized
¾ cups leftover tomato sauce
¼ teaspoon dried oregano or thyme
generous pinch sea salt and black pepper
pinch chili flakes or cayenne
1 tablespoon grated parmesan
1 small handful basil leaves
optional: 4 chopped olives or sundried tomatoes
1. Combine all ingredients in a heatproof jar, and keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
2. When ready, boil the kettle and remove the basil leaves from the jar.
3. Let the boiled water sit for a minute or two before adding it to the jar, leaving a half-inch gap at the top.
4. Stir, cover and let sit five minutes.
5. Stir again, tear the basil leaves into the pot, and enjoy.