Detox Teriyaki Chicken
This sauce is detox-friendly because it doesn’t use sugar or soy, but it has a great depth of flavor and is the perfect consistency.
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup agave syrup
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon barley miso
1 teaspoon mirin
1 tablespoon water
1 chicken breast
detox teriyaki sauce
1 finely chopped scallion
4 sprigs cilantro, roughly chopped
1. To make the marinade, combine the balsamic, agave, ginger and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for ten minutes. Cool and then add the miso, mirin and water.
2. Marinate the chicken in the sauce (reserve a spoonful or two) for at least one hour–up to overnight.
3. Heat your grill to medium heat.
4. Wipe off any excess marinade and grill the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
5. Serve with the reserved, hasn’t-touched-raw-chicken sauce, cilantro and scallions.
This smoothie is anti-inflammatory, boosts immunity, and soothes digestion. Make your own almond milk for added nutrients—1 cup of soaked raw almonds blended with 3 cups of water, strained with a nut milk bag. If you don’t have access to cold-pressed juice, use 1 apple (cored) instead for extra...
Melissa Clark recently contributed to our newsletter on Pizza by teaching us how to make it at home like a true pro. She is the most thorough cook we know—providing helpful tips and tricks along each step of the way. The cookbook is arranged by month with seasonal and...