If you want to make this extra decadent, serve with a little whipped cream.
Cinnamon French Toast Bread Pudding
You can assemble this bread pudding the night before and bake it off in the morning. Cook it in a pretty dish and it can go straight from the oven to the table.
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces + extra for buttering the dish
½ large loaf day-old challah bread, cut into large 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
1 egg yolk
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup half and half
fresh berries for serving, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish or 2 ½ quart dutch oven.
3. Cut the challah into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
4. Whisk the eggs and egg yolk in a separate large bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Whisk in whole milk and half and half and pour the mixture over the cubed challah.
5. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes before transferring to the prepared baking dish. Top with the diced butter, pop in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Eat hot or at room temperature with fresh berries, if desired.