You can blanch the cabbage leaves ahead of time to make prep even easier for this dish.
Chicken and Cabbage Dim Sum
GP was really craving some clean dim sum, so she thought of using cabbage leaves as wrappers instead of wheat- or grain-based dough. Now we’re obsessed with this clean dumpling hack. Serve these on their own or with cauliflower rice or brown rice on the side.
for the filling:
1 pound dark meat ground chicken
1 bunch scallions, minced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
1 teaspoon kosher salt
for the rolls:
1 head of green or savoy cabbage
for the dipping sauce:
¼ cup gluten-free tamari
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
¼ teaspoon chili oil (optional)
1. Combine all the ingredients for the filling. Mix well, then refrigerate while you prep the cabbage leaves.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare a bowl with ice water.
3. Using a sturdy pair of tongs, place the entire cabbage head into the boiling water. After about 45-60 seconds, carefully pull the cabbage out, removing 2 or 3 layers of leaves that have softened, and shock them in the ice bath.
4. Repeat this process until you have 10 blanched leaves (you can save the raw leaves in the center to use in the laarb and Kitchen Sink Thai Fried Rice recipes). Dry each blanched leaf well before starting to assemble the rolls.
5. Place one cabbage leaf on your work surface with the core closest to you. Add about 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture at the base of the cabbage leaf and fold it up and away from you, gently tucking the sides in over your first fold, and rolling until they form a nice little package.
6. Start boiling a pot of water with a wire or bamboo steamer basket or bamboo steamer basket (or use a steamer donabe) and line the bottom with any extra blanched cabbage leaves.
7. Set the dumplings in the steamer basket seam side down and steam with a lid on for about 15 minutes—just until the filling looks cooked and is slightly firm.
8. While they cook, prepare the dipping sauce by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve right out of the steamer with sauce on the side.