Seafood | Recipe Categories | GoopA new riff on GP’s ingenious cabbage dim sum—this time wrapped shumai-style with a simple, but super tasty shrimp filling. Don’t forget the squeeze of lime at the end- that bright acidity makes all the difference!1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Then prepare a bowl with ice water. Using a sturdy pair of tongs, place the entire cabbage head into the boiling water. After about 45-60 seconds, carefully pull the cabbage out, removing the 2 or 3 outer most layers of leaves that have softened- and shock them in the ice bath. Repeat this process until you hit the heart of the cabbage.
2. Next, prepare the filling. Chop the shrimp thoroughly. Combine it with the scallions, chives, sesame oil, and salt in a bowl.
3. To assemble the shumai, take a savoy cabbage leaf and remove the center rib, splitting the leaf in two. Place a half leaf cut side closest to you, the curved ruffled side facing away from you. Place about a teaspoon of the shrimp mixture on the top rightmost part of the cabbage leaf (you don’t have to leave room to fold the top over- the look of the shumai is open on the top). Roll the mixture in the cabbage leaf moving from the towards the left, tucking the bottom layer up and under. Then secure them with a toothpick. This will take a minute to get the hang of, but once you do you will be ready to open a dim sum factory!
4. Start boiling a pot of water with a wire steamer basket or bamboo steamer basket.
5. Place the shumai standing up in the steamer basket and cover. Let them cook for about 6 minutes, until they turn pink and opaque and feel slightly firm to the touch.
6. Squeeze lime juice over them just before serving.
Makes about 12 shumai½ lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
3 scallions, finely minced
½ bunch chives, finely minced
Zest of ½ lime
1 teaspoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon salt,
1 head savoy cabbage,
Quartered limes for serving.
Sign up here to receive news and information about the upcoming goop skincare launch.
By clicking this button, you will be receiving product updates and our weekly newsletter.
Take 25% off Goop Shop. Use code: 25OFFLOVEGOOP
Offer ends at 11:59 PM PST on 11/30/15. You must enter the discount code 25OFFLOVEGOOP in Checkout for savings to be applied. Promotion excludes: Valentino, Stella McCartney, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Michael Kors, fruitsuper design, all Beauty, all Jewelry, and all Final Sale items. Promotion also excludes taxes, gift cards, and shipping charges. This offer is valid only at http://shop.goop.com and may not be combined with another offer. No adjustments on previous purchases. Goop Inc. reserves the right to modify or terminate this offer at any time without notice.
Get Thursday's Note from GP, including exclusive tips and behind-the-scenes photos.