1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the flour, salt, pepper, and thyme and set aside.
3. In a large bowl beat the butter and parmesan cheese together until you have pea-sized crumbs. Add the dry ingredients in a few batches, mixing until well combined.
4. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and knead for a few minutes, until the mixture forms a ball (it will be on the dry side). Press the dough into a square and gently roll it out to ¼-inch to ½-inch thickness. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
5. After the dough has rested in the fridge, it’s ready to cut. Cut the dough in half, and then into ¼-inch to ½-inch sticks. Transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet, spreading them out evenly.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Let cool completely before serving.Makes about 24 straws
¾ cup all-purpose flour,
½ teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon black pepper,
1 teaspoon thyme leaves,
1 ½ cups finely grated parmesan cheese,
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature,
2 tablespoons water.