This healthy, quick salad has great crunch and lots of refreshing flavors. It’s wonderful on its own and also takes well to simply prepared proteins; grilled fish, shrimp, chicken or tofu are great.
Time: 15 minutes
- 4 large bok choy leaves, rough bottoms discarded, stems cut into ¼" bias and leaves shredded
- 4 big leaves Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 bunch watercress (discard thick stems), roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- the leaves from about 8 stems each basil, mint, cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 red Thai chili (or more…or less), thinly sliced
- ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Vietnamese Dressing (see recipe below)
- grilled fish, shrimp, tuna, chicken, or tofu for serving (optional)
Toss the bok choy, cabbage, watercress, carrot, herbs, cucumber, chili and ¼ cup of the peanuts together with enough dressing to coat. Serve sprinkled with the remaining peanuts and whatever protein you like.
Print this recipe »
Lee Gross is a private chef based in New York City.