In the Genes:
Back to School Styling Tricks & Tips
Old Navy is already known and loved for their wardrobe basics, but every season they always pull off a handful of insanely cool pieces, too—with price tags that seem way-too-good-to-be-true. Here, we dressed a handful of our favorite moms-from-the-web along with their little ones: After all, when it comes to back-to-school, hard-working denim rules. Below, some pretty adorable outfit ideas for kids that won’t break the piggy bank, and a bit of styling fodder for grown-ups, too. (How rad are those overalls?)
Jessica, Zoe (6) & Jack (8)
- Jessica: Boyfriend Plaid Pullover, Old Navy, $26.94; High-Rise Rockstar Distressed Jeans, Old Navy, $34.94; Faux-Patent Leather Oxfords, Old Navy, $26.94
- Zoe: Printed Soft Tank, Old Navy, $16.94; Terry-Fleece Cocoon Cardigan, Old Navy, $29.94; Black Jeggings, Old Navy, $24.94; Patterned Sneakers, Old Navy, $16.94
- Jack: Colorblocked Shirt, Old Navy, $22.94; Striped Tee, Old Navy, $8.94; Distressed Skinny Jeans, Old Navy, $24.94; Faux-Leather Trim High-Tops, Old Navy, $27.94
Jessica Shyba, of Momma’s Gone City, has four kiddos, a cat, and a now-famous rescued dog, Theo (she famously documented the adorable naps of her son Beau and Theo, which lit up Instagram and became a children’s book). A full-house means she’s always on the hunt for hard-working staples that can be passed down from kid-to-kid. No surprise, but she leans on denim—the ultimate work-horse—a lot, using it as the foundation and then mixing in prints and layers.
- Jessica: Denim Trucker Jacket, Old Navy, $34.94; The Pixie Mid-Rise Ankle Pant, Old Navy, $34.94; Crop Tee, Old Navy, $14.94; Matt Bernson Verona Smoking Shoe, goop, $229
- Zoe: Space-Dye Tee, Old Navy, $14.94; Patterned Circle Skirt, Old Navy, $12.94; Jeggings, Old Navy, $24.94; Canvas Sneakers, Old Navy, $16.94
- Jack: Heathered Pocket Henley, Old Navy, $19.94; Distressed Skinny Jean, Old Navy, $24.94; Uniform Windbreaker, Old Navy, $24.94; Buffalo-Plaid High-Top, Old Navy, $24.94
Zoe & Jack’s Back-To-School Wardrobe
cocoon cardigan Old Navy, $29.94
- patterned sneakers Old Navy, $16.94
- printed soft tank Old Navy, $16.94
- black jeggings Old Navy, $24.94 These double as tights, which is great when temperatures drop.
- Space-Dye Tee Old Navy, $14.94
- Patterned Circle Skirt Old Navy, $12.94
- Canvas Sneakers Old Navy, $16.94
- Jeggings Old Navy, $24.94
Shirt Old Navy, $22.94 This shirt can be worn open like a cardigan, or buttoned-up like a traditional oxford as kids grow.
distressed skinny jeans Old Navy, $24.94
As legs lengthen, turn these
- striped tee Old Navy, $8.94
high-tops Old Navy, $27.94
Skinny Jean Old Navy, $24.94
Windbreaker Old Navy, $24.94
- Heathered Pocket Henley Old Navy, $19.94
High-Top Old Navy, $24.94
The goop Questionnaire: Jessica, Zoe & Jack
- Tips for traveling with kids: I’ve learned to always bring healthy snacks that they haven’t had recently, a favorite toy or stuffed animal, and something new to read or draw on.
- Lunch-box go-to: My kids love it when I put crackers, cheese, and deli slices in their lunch boxes to make their own “stackers.” Finger foods always seem to get eaten!
- Show that’s wearing out the DVR: We watch Animal Planet all the time. Entertaining and educational for the whole family.
- Crowd-pleasing recipe: My wheat and flax blueberry pancakes are a family and guest favorite.
- Favorite kid-friendly hotel: We splurge on the Four Seasons. If it fits into our budget, the family-family amenities, activities, and incredibly friendly staff are consistently our choice for vacations.
- Favorite kid-friendly app: The Toca Boca line of apps are so entertaining for my three bigger children. I’ve been known to peek over their shoulders when they play these, too.
- Favorite kids book: Well, aside from Naptime with Theo and Beau (of course), we love Goodnight Gorilla. Laughs every time.
- Favorite city hotel (no kids in tow): I try to stay at the Crosby Street Hotel whenever I’m in NYC on business.
- Favorite vacation hotel (no kids in tow): We stayed at the Gansevoort in Turks and Caicos and it was positively dreamy.
- Favorite Chinese restaurant: My indulgence of choice is Chinese takeout in NYC. A night at Budakkan is also a treat.
- Favorite spot for takeout: Burritos in the Mission, San Francisco.
- Favorite gift to give: I love giving fresh flowers to anyone and everyone.
- Favorite gift to receive: Probably flowers, too!
- Favorite kids gift to give: Our favorite book and a pretty, soft knit blanket.
- Favored toys in rotation: Magnatiles.
- Topping the kids’ birthday wishlists: Jack will be 9-years-old and would really love his own room, but realistically he’ll likely ask for a new video game. Zoe desperately wants a kitten, Beau would like his own basketball hoop, and for her first birthday, Evvie want a water table for outside.
Sai & London (3)
This adorable mother-daughter duo document their escapades on Scout the City, which incidentally also offers a great look at NYC. London, who was born in Montreal, gravitates toward bright colors and tomboy-inspired shapes. They all play well together, making getting dressed in the morning the ultimate game of mix-and-match.
- Sai: Black Overalls, Old Navy, $44.94; Striped Long-Sleeve Top, Old Navy, $14.94; Matt Bernson Verona Smoking Shoe, goop, $229
- London: Quilted Chambray Jacket, Old Navy, $24.94; Rounded-Hem Long-Sleeve Tee, Old Navy, $9.94; Printed Leggings, Old Navy, $9.94; Glittery T-Strap Sandals, Old Navy, $16.94
London’s Back-To-School Wardrobe
cardigan Old Navy, $22.94 Something like this should be bought a size-up so there’s room to grow. Just cuff the sleeves.
- denim shift Old Navy, $19.94
- Quilted Chambray Jacket Old Navy, $24.94
Long-Sleeve Tee Old Navy, $9.94 Super cute layered over a turtleneck.
- Printed Leggings Old Navy, $9.94
boots Old Navy, $26.94
- Glittery T-Strap Sandals Old Navy, $16.94
- color-block jeans Old Navy, $22.94
The goop Questionnaire: Sai & London
- Tip for traveling with kids: Use a backseat organizer on planes. Fill it with snacks, crayons, play doh, etc. It’s readily accessible so you don’t have to continuously rummage through your bag.
- Movie that’s wearing out the DVR: Frozen and Peppa Pig! My DVR can’t take it anymore!
- Crowd-pleasing recipe: Organic honey-cinnamon popcorn.
- Favorite kid-friendly hotel: The Plaza Hotel. They have Eloise tea fit for any miniature princess.
- Favorite kids book: If You Give a Cat a Cupcake.
- Favorite city hotel (no kids in tow): Barcelona, Hotel Arts.
- Favorite vacation hotel (no kids in tow): Viceroy Hotel, Anguilla.
- Favorite Chinese restaurant: LA Caridad.
- Favorite spot for takeout: Harry’s Italian in Financial District.
- Favorite kids gift to give: Seedling’s Create Your Own Doll
- Favored toys in rotation: Barbie, Play doh plus, Shopkins, and Frozen Dolls.
- London’s birthday wishlist: Barbie doll, Barbie house, Barbie car, and a Snackeez cup.
Joy & Ruby (3)
Joy Cho of Oh Joy! needs little in the way of introduction: Not only does this graphic designer have a wildly successful design blog, but she’s launched a handful of adorable products, too. Her pint-sized mini me, Ruby, shares her love of subtly quirky classic shapes—meanwhile, all-in-one outfits like dresses and jumpsuits wield the power to save the day on exceptionally hectic mornings.
Ruby’s Back-To-School Wardrobe
- classic cardigan Old Navy, $16.94
Boots Old Navy, $26.94
- Cuffed Jeans Old Navy, $19.94
- t-strap play shoes Old Navy, $16.94
- chambray sundress Old Navy, $22.94 L.A. kids get to have all the fun! (September brings heat waves.)
Long-Sleeve Tee Old Navy, $9.94
The goop Questionnaire: Joy & Ruby
- Lunch-box go-to: Shapes! Cut sandwiches into shapes of any kind, and they instantly taste better!
- Show that’s wearing out the DVR: Daniel Tiger (I love that it teaches kids how to handle conflicts and everyday emotions).
- Crowd-pleasing recipe: Grilled salmon with mini finger potatoes. If you can get veggies in alternative colors (like purple fingerling potatoes or yellow carrots), then they get more excited about trying a “funny colored” vegetable.
- Favorite kid-friendly app: Endless Alphabet.
- Favorite kids book: Press Here.
- Three ways you take care of yourself: A massage, a gel manicure, and ice cream after my kids are in bed!
- Favorite Chinese restaurant: Han Dynasty in Philadelphia.
- Favorite gift to give: A Maya Brenner initial necklace for a new mama.
- Favorite gift to receive: Massage gift certificate.
- Favorite kids gift to give: I make an art kit that includes rolls of plain paper, gel crayons, finger paints, and a ton of other crafty items. You can never start too early!
- Ruby’s birthday wishlist: A pretend makeup set, new glitter glue, and a mermaid that swims in the water.