Easy, Make-Ahead Appetizers
(and some other entertaining tips so you can enjoy your own party)
- Keep the drinks simple—stick to beer, wine, water, and one pre-made cocktail (a seasonal punch is perfect).
- Stock your bar with glasses, ice, and a corkscrew and encourage guests to serve themselves.
- Make a couple of appetizers, and buy the rest. A good cheese plate, some Marcona almonds, and nice olives round out any cocktail party menu nicely.
- Make a couple of plates of each appetizer to encourage people to move around and mingle. You don’t want all of your guests crowded around one table with food.
- Make time for yourself: Get ready 2 hours before your guests arrive, so that you can be dressed, with a glass of wine in your hand, when people roll in—not in the bathroom blowing out your hair.
Put together the crab salad in the morning, so all you have to do is plate and garnish it before the guests arrive.
The prep takes a bit of time, but whip it up a day or two in advance—then, just pop it in the oven the day of the party.